BECOME A WAYPOINT PARTNER
“We point the way to Jesus by loving others the way Jesus loves us.” Jesus makes it clear that our love for one another is one of the most significant markers of a follower of Him. The early community of Jesus’s followers lived this out. Their resources and lives were shared freely. So much so that the surrounding communities looked in and wondered what was happening there.
A “Covenant” is the biblical language for an agreement or promise. Our Partnership Covenant gives Waypoint’s elders/pastors a chance to make some promises to you while you make some promises to your church. And we understand few things last forever, so our partnerships are for one calendar year. Then, we have the chance to renew our commitment to one another, in January each year.
To be a part of the church means we are much more than spectators; in fact, it means we are doing life together and sharing the ministry of the Gospel. We are partners who are better together.
When choosing a local church to partner with, it is critically important that you know what that church believes. Before becoming a Covenant Partner at Waypoint, we encourage you to understand our fundamental biblical and theological beliefs. Suppose there is anything in our doctrine that you explicitly reject. In that case, we ask that you gracefully refrain from pursuing a Covenant Partnership with Waypoint and reach out to your Group leader or a pastor/elder to discuss any questions.
Our Elders/Pastors Promise to:
- Appoint elders and deacons (including staff members) according to the scriptures (1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- Pursue the Spirit’s guidance as they lead the church and steward her resources well (Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- Care for the church by shepherding her well, praying for her, teaching the scriptures, equipping people for ministry, protecting her from false teachers, and lovingly exercising correction when necessary (Matthew 7:15; 18:15-20; 28:16-20; Ephesians 4:11-16; James 5:14; 1 Peter 5:1-4; Acts 20:27-31; 1 Corinthians 5; Galatians 6:1; 1 Timothy 1:3-7; 4:16; 2 Timothy 4:1-5; 1 John 4:1).
- Lead by example in following all that is found in the Partnership Covenant (Philippians 3:17; 1 Timothy 4:12; Titus 2:7-8; 1 Peter 5:3).
Your Promise to the Church to:
- Regularly read, and prayerfully submit to its authority in your life Psalm 119; Acts 17:11; 2 Timothy 3:14-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21).
- Regularly participate in our weekend worship gatherings and, more importantly, be active in a Life Group during the week (Acts 2:42-47; Hebrews 10:23-25).
- Regularly serve in the church (Titus 3:14).
- Follow the commands of scripture and the example of Jesus by participating in the church’s sacraments, such as communion and baptism after your profession of faith (Acts 2:38; 10:48; Romans 6:4; 1 Corinthians 11:24-27).
- Carefully oversee (steward) the resources God has given you and financially give a tithe of your income regularly, sacrificially, and cheerfully (Matthew 25:14-20; Romans 12:1-2; 2 Corinthians 8-9; 1 Peter 4:10-11).
- Submit to the discipline of God within the church when other Christ-Followers and the church’s elders/pastors approach you biblically with concerns, as well as follow biblical guidelines when you need to come to others who are in sin, avoiding gossip at all costs (Psalm 141:5; Matthew 18:15-20; 1 Corinthians 5:9-13; Hebrews 12:5-11).